Tuesday, February 2, 2010

More Winter or early Spring?

So, today was Groundhog's Day and that darn Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow, which means 6 more weeks of Winter (if you believe in this). I was sad at just the thought of an additional 6 more weeks of Winter weather. BUT Sir Walter Wally (NC's version of Punxsutawney Phil) didn't see his shadow! I think since I live in NC I should go by what he says. The weather here has been up and down though. At the beginning of last week, I was wearing short sleeves, then by the weekend it was snowing and I was wearing boots and a coat. (Welcome to NC, home of unpredictable weather). It's in the 50's today so a lot of that snow is melting but there's a chance for more snow this coming weekend. Being a teacher, when it snows that means no work. When it snows here, schools are closed.. sometimes for a long time. The transplanted Northerner's make fun of this but the fact is that there isn't enough equipment/manpower to clear the roads. It doesn't snow here often enough to have these things in great supply. It's exciting when it happens since it isn't that often but there will be days to make up!

I just don't do Winter. I can't stand being cold, I hate wearing bulky clothes, I hate having dry skin and I really hate static. I love the milder months where it's not steaming hot with 100% humidity but where it's comfortable. I like being able to sit outside and not be phased by the weather. I like being able to just slide on some sandals or flip flops and go. Luckily, even though NC's weather is unpredictable, there's not too long of a Winter and a lot of nice days when I can do this. What's your favorite season?

No comments:

Post a Comment